Autism spectrum disorder (ASD) is a condition that affects social interaction, communication, interests and behaviour.
Statistics show that around 1 in every 100 people in the UK has ASD, with more boys being diagnosed with the condition than girls.
What will the assessment involve?
An initial consultation with the child and family including a medical and developmental history, observation and examination. Parental screening questionnaires will be carried out during the assessment.
After this, if an autism assessment is advisable, the following will be carried out:
- A 3Di/social communication and developmental history will be carried out with one, or preferably both parents. The 3Di is a standardised computer based developmental and diagnostic interview to assess for Autistic Spectrum Disorder. This will take up to two hours.
- The Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule (ADOS) will be carried out with your child. This is a semi-structured assessment of communication, social interaction, and play (or imaginative use of materials). This will take up to 90 minutes.
- Screening questionnaires and school feedback will be requested prior to the assessment.
- A thorough report with recommendations will be written and a feedback session will be held with the parents and the child (depending on your child’s age). You can decide if you wish for teaching staff to be present during this meeting.
Further information may be required through:
- A school observation
- A speech and language assessment
- A cognitive/developmental assessment
What support will be offered afterward? (NOT PART OF THE PACKAGE)
There is no “cure” for ASD, however, often a family may need the support of a clinical psychologist or paediatrican to help reduce some of the behaviours that can present in a child with ASD, such as sleep difficulties, eating difficulties, ADHD and anxiety.
Autism Assessment Profile
The core Autism Assessment will cover:
- Reading other professionals’ reports and school feedback relevant to the assessment, evaluating screening questionnaires
- 3DI/Development History assessment – lasting up to 2 hours
- ADOS assessment – lasting up to 2 hours and including ADOS scoring
- Feedback consultation and written report